Saturday, November 11, 2017

Bridesmaids Oil

All four Scripture lessons today deserve some comment, the Gospel first and longer, then the Epistle, Amos, and the Psalm.   Do you remember the old church camp and Bible school song?  The version I remember goes:

 Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, Give me oil in my lamp I pray.
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning,
Keep me burning till the light of day
Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna, Sing Hosanna to the King of Kings

Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna Sing Hosanna to the King

There are lots of other verses:
Give me joy in my heart keep me praising       

Give me love in my heart keep me serving
Give me peace in my heart keep me resting       
Hide your word in my heart, keep me learning,
Make me fishers of men, keep me searching
Some others are these:
Give me wax on my board, keep me surfing for the Lord...

Give me coffee in my cup, lift Him up, up, up...
Give me water in my shower God is power, power, power...
Give me gas in my Ford, keep me truckin' for the Lord...

Give me gas for my Chevy Keep my testimony heavy
Give me wheels for my skates, then I’ll roll to heaven’s gate.
Give me Nikes for my feet, I’ll be preachin’ on the street
Give me chicken on my plate, God is great, great, great...
Give me umption in my gumption, help me function for the Lord...
Give me beans in my burrito, God is neat-o, neat-o, neat-o... 

Give me salt on my Fritos, God is neat-os, neat-os, neat-os....
Give me hot sauce in my taco, let me witness in Morocco
(from England) Give me batteries for my torch, keep me shining  
I’m sure there are more. 

In Christian history the oil of this parable has had many meanings. In our time reserves are important – material reserves and spiritual reserves. Last year a Federal Reserve survey said nearly half the people in this country could not raise $400 in an emergency. In terms of net worth – 10% have less than $1,000, half less than $100,000,10% more than 1,200.000. My church pension is funded by an 18% assessment for 37 years, and I paid into social security.  But pensions are going away and savings are not making up for them. We need to build up our material and financial reserves.

More importantly we need to build up our spiritual reserves. Regular prayer, regular bible study, regular worship, regular Christian service – all these help us grow in God’s love and grace. We can’t pass on what we have not received for ourselves. In   Christ Jesus we are forgiven sinners. We have been given new life in Jesus Christ. God has given us the Holy Spirit – the spirit of God’s truth, the spirit of God’s power to overcome the temptations of this life. Focusing our attention on God’s gifts helps us keep our spiritual oil flasks filled.   

We all know the feeling of burnout – to be overworked and under-appreciated. It is easy to burn out. Overwork is a subset of the sin of pride. Make time for God. Remember “this is my father’s world.” He is in charge, and he wants us rested, and filled with his Spirit.  

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, Give me oil in my lamp I pray.
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning,
Keep me burning till the light of day

Today’s Epistle reading from Thessalonians includes the proof text for the Rapture. 4:17 “Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord forever.” You may have seen the bumper sticker, “In case of Rapture this car will be unmanned.” The Rapture is one way of understanding the final coming of Jesus Christ at the end of time.

That Jesus will come at the end of time again is a matter of faith. How and when he will come is pious opinion and speculation. Our task is to remember how Jesus has come to us our lives, to be wise, prepared with extra oil to obey Jesus’ command to keep alert and awake.

We all look for the Day of the Lord, the day of judgment Amos writes about. We tend to think of it as our day of vindication. Amos reminds us God’s judgment is righteous, and that we are to live by God’s standards, “let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.”  

And the Psalm reminds us of our need for God’s deliverance.  I am poor and needy; come to me quickly, O God.  You are my helper and my deliverer; O LORD, do not tarry.”  

 Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, Give me oil in my lamp I pray.
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning,
Keep me burning till the light of day
Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna, Sing Hosanna to the King of Kings

Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna .Sing Hosanna to the King

1 comment: